Bristol Palin, the eldest daughter of conservative superstar Sarah, has reportedly joined the cast of ABC's celebrity talent show "Dancing with the Stars." According to E! Online, the 19-year-old will compete alongside other luminaries such as David Hasselhoff, Audrina Partridge of "The Hills" and "Jersey Shore" star Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino. The younger Palin's bid for reality TV fame has provoked a tidal wave of unusually chilly snark from the blogosphere. (Watch an E! News report about the announcement.) A sampling of the slams:
"[Bristol] seems like a typical, vapid, self-absorbed teenager — but no matter how loosely you define the word 'star,' Bristol is not one. And except for at least one night doing the Horizontal Mambo, there's no evidence she can dance...."
—Howard Gensler, Philadelphia Daily News
"Everything about the Palins is simultaneously shocking and totally expected..."
"Wouldn’t it be a riot if Bristol hooked up with the other bad boy who is also rumored to be joining the show — 'Jersey Shore' cast member The Situation? Imagine the family dinners in Alaska then. Hide the cutlery, please."
—Mark Perigard, Boston Herald
"You know what [this] means, right? That Snooki and Sarah Palin could quite conceivably be in the same room at the same time to support their contestants during taping this fall. I smell a bouffant-off–and I hope it’s televised."
—Meghan Casserly, Forbes
"I think I speak for everyone when I tell her, 'Break a leg. Preferably in four or five places.'"
—Tim Surette, TV.com
"Teddy Roosevelt’s daughter was a wild child known for late-night partying and riding in cars with mysterious men. 'I can either run the country or I can attend to Alice, but I cannot possibly do both,' he once sighed. [Sarah] Palin is no Roosevelt—at least not yet. But if she wants to run for president, this mama grizzly needs to start getting tough with her own cubs."
—Alan Mascarenhas, Newsweek
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- The many injustices of Missouri's new 'waiting-period' abortion law
Subscribe to the Week