Bristol Palin, the eldest daughter of conservative superstar Sarah, has reportedly joined the cast of ABC's celebrity talent show "Dancing with the Stars." According to E! Online, the 19-year-old will compete alongside other luminaries such as David Hasselhoff, Audrina Partridge of "The Hills" and "Jersey Shore" star Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino. The younger Palin's bid for reality TV fame has provoked a tidal wave of unusually chilly snark from the blogosphere. (Watch an E! News report about the announcement.) A sampling of the slams:
"[Bristol] seems like a typical, vapid, self-absorbed teenager — but no matter how loosely you define the word 'star,' Bristol is not one. And except for at least one night doing the Horizontal Mambo, there's no evidence she can dance...."
—Howard Gensler, Philadelphia Daily News
"Everything about the Palins is simultaneously shocking and totally expected..."
"Wouldn’t it be a riot if Bristol hooked up with the other bad boy who is also rumored to be joining the show — 'Jersey Shore' cast member The Situation? Imagine the family dinners in Alaska then. Hide the cutlery, please."
—Mark Perigard, Boston Herald
"You know what [this] means, right? That Snooki and Sarah Palin could quite conceivably be in the same room at the same time to support their contestants during taping this fall. I smell a bouffant-off–and I hope it’s televised."
—Meghan Casserly, Forbes
"I think I speak for everyone when I tell her, 'Break a leg. Preferably in four or five places.'"
—Tim Surette, TV.com
"Teddy Roosevelt’s daughter was a wild child known for late-night partying and riding in cars with mysterious men. 'I can either run the country or I can attend to Alice, but I cannot possibly do both,' he once sighed. [Sarah] Palin is no Roosevelt—at least not yet. But if she wants to run for president, this mama grizzly needs to start getting tough with her own cubs."
—Alan Mascarenhas, Newsweek
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How I lost all my money
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 22, 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week