"We have a new American idol," says Kathleen Parker in The Washington Post. And his name is Antoine Dodson. After Dodson thwarted a very "unfunny incident" — an attempted sexual assault on his 22-year-old sister in their Huntsville, AL, housing project — he rocketed to internet superstardom when his furious, fed-up, "hilarious" interview with a local news station went viral. His fame rose to greater heights when an "auto-tuned" remix version became one of the summer's hit songs (see below). From the song's proceeds, Dodson has earned enough to move his family out of the projects. But unlike other instant, not especially skilled celebrities, writes Parker, "we don't begrudge [Dodson] his moment of fame because, among other things, he made us laugh. He also expressed a rage that most feel but don't express." An excerpt:
Sometimes we don't know quite who we are or what we're made of until forced into action by circumstances. Tsunamis and hurricanes reveal heroes and expose monsters. A would-be rapist and a television crew bring out the beautiful and, yes, hilarious fury of a brother in the throes of his own Howard Beale moment.
Despite the seriousness of the event, it is impossible to keep a straight face as Dodson rails against his sister's assailant, red bandana and passions ablaze. An excerpt will have to do:
"Obviously, we have a rapist in Lincoln Park. He's climbing in your windows, he's snatching your people up, trying to rape them; so y'all need to hide your kids, hide your wife and hide your husband, because they're raping everybody out here. . . . "
Suffice to say, it's all in the delivery.
Read the full article at The Washington Post.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 10 things you need to know today: November 23, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- Why insects are the future of food
Subscribe to the Week