he video: Sandra Bullock's first television interview since she split with her notoriously adulterous husband, Jesse James, was anything but salacious. Conspicuously avoiding any mention of the scandal, the "Today" show's Matt Lauer queried Bullock on her charitable work in New Orleans and her recent adoption of her 8-month-old son, Louis (my "little Cajun cookie"). The adoption "was a long process," she told Lauer. "I did not circumvent. I wanted to do everything exactly the same way everyone else did... [I]t was nice to have someone say, I think you're a fit parent." She then credited her friends and family for keeping the adoption a secret until it was finalized.
The reaction: I'm giving this interview "a D" grade, says Verne Gay in Newsday. Though Bullock hinted that her privacy had been "thwarted by friends," Lauer asked nothing "about her recent travails. Nothing." Like so many Bullock interviews before it, says blogger Wendy at PopCrunch, this interview once again proves that the Academy-Award-winning actress "is always classy, well-spoken and funny." Watch for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week