o you find playing with your kids more of an obligation than a diversion? If so, you're not alone. In a new British study, "The State of Play, Back to Basics," one-third of parents admitted that the activity left them bored. The study of 2,000 parents and 2,000 children also found that one in five parents had forgotten how to play with their kids — and one in ten children realize Mom and Dad think playtime is dull. Is it natural to find child-level amusements a bit dull, or are parents too self-involved?
Sometimes, playtime is best for one: Believe me, I love spending time with my daughter, says Carolyn Castiglia at Babble. But when it comes to doing something like coloring together, "I cringe." The truth is, there are plenty of things kids can be doing on their own. And that's okay: "It's called My Little Pony, not Our Little Pony, for chrissakes."
"Do you think playing kid games is boring?"
Play with your kids while you still can: Those special years where you can play with your kids end quickly, says Sarah Taylor-Spangenberg at ZeldaLily, so why not take advantage of them? Even if you can only spare 20 (yes, often repetitive) minutes, for a lot of kids, "any attention garnered from their caretakers is considered enough to make it a great day." Still bored? "Consider not having kids that second time around."
"Some parents think playing with their children is boring as hell"
Lazy parents need to find time for their kids: We've become a "lazy society," says Hannah Davies at The Journal. And sadly, "our idleness is spilling over into our relationships with our children." One of this study's more telling findings is that parents think they ought to play videogames with their kids, while children want to carry out "more traditional pursuits" with Mom and Dad. Get off the sofa, parents!
"Playtime essential for parents as well as kids"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- The Daily Show has some fun mocking the CPAC power players
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week