he past 20 months have transformed President Obama from sex symbol to "floundering" politician, says Tunku Varadarajan in The Daily Beast. Unlike John Kennedy's "sleekly glamorous" sex appeal, or Bill Clinton's "cheerily priapic" magnetism, Obama's sexiness was "cerebral, languid, unconventional." And it couldn't survive the BP oil spill, the economy, Iran — or his obvious devotion to his wife. All this "hasn't merely diminished his sex appeal; it has killed it stone dead." Here's an excerpt:
The promise of “otherness” and change that had made Obama so sexy to so many stands shorn of its magic. He has tried to do too much, and as a result has done too little well: And failure is not sexy. He has given speech after speech to a restless, increasingly irritated nation, like a man trying to “talk” about the relationship when a girl wants to be ravaged; he has been a preachy, professorial windbag—in a word, charmless.
This hasn’t merely diminished his sex appeal; it has killed it stone dead. Obama now looks more like tank-commander Dukakis than the George Clooney of our national narrative.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week