he past 20 months have transformed President Obama from sex symbol to "floundering" politician, says Tunku Varadarajan in The Daily Beast. Unlike John Kennedy's "sleekly glamorous" sex appeal, or Bill Clinton's "cheerily priapic" magnetism, Obama's sexiness was "cerebral, languid, unconventional." And it couldn't survive the BP oil spill, the economy, Iran — or his obvious devotion to his wife. All this "hasn't merely diminished his sex appeal; it has killed it stone dead." Here's an excerpt:
The promise of “otherness” and change that had made Obama so sexy to so many stands shorn of its magic. He has tried to do too much, and as a result has done too little well: And failure is not sexy. He has given speech after speech to a restless, increasingly irritated nation, like a man trying to “talk” about the relationship when a girl wants to be ravaged; he has been a preachy, professorial windbag—in a word, charmless.
This hasn’t merely diminished his sex appeal; it has killed it stone dead. Obama now looks more like tank-commander Dukakis than the George Clooney of our national narrative.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- How Captain America won over China
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How to flirt, according to science
Subscribe to the Week