lenn Beck and Sarah Palin have shed some light on their "secret" 9/11 event: It's a dinner at the Anchorage, Alaska convention center commemorating 9/11 and celebrating the faith-based values that inspired Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally in August. However, unlike the Washington D.C. event, this weekend's dinner comes with a hefty pricetag, with tickets ranging from $72 to $225. Neither Palin nor Beck have confirmed they will receive payment for their attendance, but critics are already accusing them of trying to profit off a tragedy:
This shameful pair will use the troops as an excuse: "How much money are you making this 9/11?" asks Alex Pareene at Salon. Probably not as much as these two. Then again, don't rule out a late-in-the-day dedication to military charities. It wouldn't the first time Beck and Palin "use The Troops to insulate themselves from criticisms for their utter shamelessness."
"Spend $200 to meet Sarah Palin on 9/11"
There must be a simple explanation for this: This can't be what it seems, says Jeffrey Lord at American Spectator. I don't believe Palin and Beck are dumb enough to open themselves up to "this kind of easily foreseeable left wing criticism." Someone needs to give a rational explanation for this, "pronto." If the money is going to charity — and I hope it is — then whoever failed to let the media know that ought to be "horsewhipped."
"Yikes! Sarah and Glenn charge for Alaska 9/11 event"
Plenty of rightwing leaders are doing the same: Palin and Beck aren't alone, says Lee Fang at Think Progress. "Disgraced lobbyist" Ralph Reed is hosting a "Faith And Freedom" conference on Saturday with an "assortment of conservatives," while Newt Gingrich is using the anniversary to unveil a fear-mongering movie about the rise of Islam, available for "just $19.95." Clearly, for right wing leaders, September 11 is "just another opportunity to enrich themselves."
"Right wing leaders plan to use September 11th anniversary to make money."
SEE MORE OF THE WEEK'S RECENT COVERAGE OF GLENN BECK:
• Beck and Palin's mysterious 9/11 event: 5 theories
• Glenn Beck: The alcoholism question
• Glenn Beck's empire: By the numbers
• Glenn Beck is about to get somebody killed
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- How to flirt, according to science
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- How any actor (even a really nice one) can play a truly evil villain like King Joffrey
Subscribe to the Week