he video: Following the success of a quirky viral ad campaign featuring actor Isaiah Mustafa, Old Spice has crowned a new strapping spokesman: Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. In this latest off-the-wall commercial by ad house Wieden + Kennedy (watch below), a lathered-up Lewis explains that he doesn't "play fantasy football." He plays "for-real football," which takes "hard work, a pinch of luck, body muscles, some salt," and, of course, Old Spice "Swagger" body wash. The football star then climbs aboard a rocket-powered raven, flies off into space, and blows up Saturn with a giant laser.
The reaction: Ray Lewis' "powers of seduction don't quite measure up to Mustafa's", says Katla McGlynn in the Huffington Post. But "seeing him saddle up a jet-powered raven and blast off to Saturn is pretty impressive." Yes, although Lewis shouldn't get the credit for that, says Tim Nudd at Adweek. The real star of this ad is the "robotic, jet-powered, laser-blasting space raven." That bird is "fairly epic." Watch the Ray Lewis ad below:
- Batman vs. Superman: Everything we know so far
- Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson insulted African-Americans, too
- How could hackers steal 40 million credit card numbers from Target?
- Watch The Daily Show laugh at the EPA's lazy CIA wannabe
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Was Johannes Gutenberg a 15th-century con man?
- Why are Democrats souring on big government?
- ObamaCare's pajama hipster ad is weak. But the backlash is much worse.
- How to ace a job interview: 7 evidence-based hacks
Subscribe to the Week