The video: John Dennis, the Republican challenging House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in her bid for reelection, has released a Wizard of Oz-themed campaign ad in which he casts his opponent as the "Wicked Witch of the West." In the ad, Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion, and the Tin Man encounter the "Wall Street Wizard" — former Treasury secretary Hank Paulson — and a tax-grabbing wicked witch in the form of a Pelosi look-alike. Fortunately for the despairing quartet, John Dennis is on hand to throw a bucket of "freedom" into the witch's face to melt her. The ad concludes with the opening melody of "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead." And there's more to come — Dennis has also made parodies of James Bond and A Few Good Men.
The reaction: John Dennis surely has "plenty of room to criticize Nancy Pelosi on actual policy," says Colby Hall at Mediaite. What made him think undecided voters would be swayed by this "dopey and sophomoric" ad? Look, Dennis is a Republican running against a big-name incumbent in heavily Democratic San Francisco, says Patrick McCain at Right Pundits. He's a "sacrificial lamb" with "no chance of winning." But at least he's getting in a few digs on behalf of his party, and having a good time doing it. Watch the video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- Dean Koontz's 5 favorite books
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week