he video: During a makeover segment on Tuesday's episode of "America's Next Top Model," host Tyra Banks recommended that a contestant have a slight gap between her teeth surgically widened so she'd resemble model/actress/'70s icon Lauren Hutton. Banks' young charge was more than amenable to the idea, exclaiming "Make it as big as you want it" — she had a dentist "shave off a quarter of a millimeter" of tooth to achieve the desired gap-toothed effect. As Gawker reports, the style world has recently embraced the gaping look for its supposed "authenticity."
The reaction: "Funny, isn't it," says StyleBistro, given that "Tyra preaches about positive body image and the importance of accepting one's natural look on this same show." Still, says Tracie Egan Morrissey at Jezebel, the seemingly contradictory move makes sense for a show "in which advice, instruction, and definitions of beauty are arbitrary, contrary, and totally confusing." Case in point: In a previous season, Banks advised a different model to make "the natural gap in her teeth less prominent." Watch Tyra change her tune:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
Subscribe to the Week