he video: Last night on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars," boos were heard off-screen just before the camera cut to an interview between Sarah Palin and host Tom Bergeron. Was the audience, as some commentators concluded, expressing its disapproval of Palin—who was seated in the front row to watch daughter Bristol compete?
The reactions: The audience wasn't booing for Palin, an ABC spokesperson tells the Los Angeles Times, but rather registering their displeasure with the scores that had just been revealed for contestants Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough (perceived as too low). "They were just expressing their feelings about a really, really good dance." Well, possibly, but Grey got "the highest marks of the night," says Rachel Weiner in The Washington Post. Why would that elicit boos? In any case, says Megan Friedman in Time, "Bristol didn't let it get her down." Her quickstep was favorably reviewed and earned her 22 points (out of 30). Watch the clip:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week