he video: Last night on ABC's "Dancing with the Stars," boos were heard off-screen just before the camera cut to an interview between Sarah Palin and host Tom Bergeron. Was the audience, as some commentators concluded, expressing its disapproval of Palin—who was seated in the front row to watch daughter Bristol compete?
The reactions: The audience wasn't booing for Palin, an ABC spokesperson tells the Los Angeles Times, but rather registering their displeasure with the scores that had just been revealed for contestants Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough (perceived as too low). "They were just expressing their feelings about a really, really good dance." Well, possibly, but Grey got "the highest marks of the night," says Rachel Weiner in The Washington Post. Why would that elicit boos? In any case, says Megan Friedman in Time, "Bristol didn't let it get her down." Her quickstep was favorably reviewed and earned her 22 points (out of 30). Watch the clip:
- The Black Death is back
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Did Paul Ryan just throw in the towel on 2016?
Subscribe to the Week