Race of the day: Russ Feingold vs. Ron Johnson for Senate (WI)
Few expected Russ Feingold to face much of a challenge in his run for a fourth Senate term, but he's currently trailing a Tea Party candidate in the polls
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Three-term incumbent senator from Wisc.; Age: 57||CEO of packing materials company; Age: 55|
|Campaign Chest:||$3.1 million
|Key Quote:||"There appears to be a systematic, conscious attempt to dismantle this president."||"I would like to ask Russ, 'Have you ever witnessed a partial-birth abortion?'"|
|Petty Controversy:||Ad touting stimulus job creation shows someone named Elizabeth M. Ackland being hired — apparently, no such person exists
||Played key role in bringing Charles Murray, author of "The Bell Curve," to speak at an Oshkosh educational event
|Wild card:||This is Ron Johnson's first political campaign
|Dueling Ads:||"On our side": Feingold touts his opposition to TARP and his support for extending jobless benefits
||"57": Johnson argues that there are too many lawyers in the Senate and too few manufacturers
Russ Feingold's "On our side:
Ron Johnson's "57":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week