Race of the day: Strickland vs. Kasich for Ohio governor
Two veteran Ohio politicians face off in a battleground state that has been devastated by job losses
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Gov. since '07; former U.S. Rep;
|Investment banker, former U.S. Rep.;
|Campaign Chest:||$6.2 million
|Key Quote:||"My opponent worked on Wall Street while I was here in Ohio fighting to create jobs."||
"Our government is too clunky, too old, too tired, too big."
|Petty Controversy:||Prisoners in a work-inmate program used his home as a waystation for smuggling contraband
||Ripped for earning $50,000 a year to lecture four hours a month at Ohio State University
|Wild card:||Kasich has been out of Congress since 2000, making him difficult to associate with unpopular elements of Bush's legacy
|Dueling Ads:||"Truth": Strickland argues that "Kasich and Wall Street" financially benefited by outsourcing jobs from Ohio
||"Record": Kasich denies he was a Wall Street bigwig and says Ohio has lost 400k jobs under Strickland leadership
Ted Strickland's "Truth":
John Kasich's "Record":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
Subscribe to the Week