The video: Wisconsin congressional hopeful Sean Duffy is a prosecutor and former reality-TV star — but he was also once a world-class competitive lumberjack. And Duffy, a Republican who once appeared on MTV's "The Real World," puts his logrolling skills to work in his latest campaign commercial, using the sport as a metaphor for what is wrong with Washington. The ad shows a "career politician" in a fancy suit logrolling with a series of ordinary citizens. The politician spins a construction worker, a child, and an old woman into the water as Duffy says, "Washington's reckless spending and government growth is spinning our country out of control." Then Duffy, dressed in flannel, climbs onto the log, spins the politician into the water, and urges voters to "dunk our career politicians and get America back on track."
The reaction: In a year when so many ads are skewering Washington, Duffy's jab seems "downright tame," says Erik Hayden at The Atlantic Wire. Think of it "as a light-hearted cousin to Ben Quayle's 'knock the hell out of Washington' spot." Many of this year's wackiest campaign ads have come from candidates who don't stand a chance, says Ed Morrissey at Hot Air, but voters obviously like Duffy's "down-home style" (he wielded an axe in his first commercial). A Republican-sponsored poll recently showed Duffy leading Democrat Julie Lassa by 14 points in the race to fill Democratic Rep. David Obey's open seat. If disaffected voters "want someone to logroll the status quo," Morrissey says, "WI-07 voters now know which candidate to back." Watch Duffy's logrolling ad:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week