In a recent appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show," J.K. Rowling gave fans craving a new novel in the Harry Potter series (which supposedly ended with the seventh volume, 2007's Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows) a glimmer of hope. "I could definitely write an 8th, 9th, 10th book," she told Winfrey. "I feel I am done, but you never know." How likely is another Harry Potter installment — and would it be overkill? (Watch Rowling's "Oprah" interview)
We'll take this as a "yes": Sure, it's not a "100 percent confirmation," says Phil Pirrello at IGN, but "both the creator of this world and its fans are quite passionate about anything Dumbledore and Potter-centric," so this hint seems significant. Perhaps the new books could be prequels: "Hogwarts: First Class? Dumbledore Begins?"
"Harry Potter 8 and 9?!"
It's not going to happen just yet: "Don't hold your breath," says Susana Polo at Geek System. What Rowling told Oprah should be taken "as a very author-y way of saying that you are done with a story, but you love the world and the characters." We won't be expecting a new Harry Potter book any time soon.
"J.K. Rowling talks about future Harry Potter books – But don't get too excited, now"
What is left to say? "Much of the suspense is gone," says Matt Carter at Examiner.com. At the end of the last book — spoiler alert! — we learn that Harry, Hermione, and Ron grow up and have families of their own, so what would another book be about? Different characters aren't an option, either. "'Harry Potter' is, after all, in the title."
"J.K. Rowling tells Oprah Winfrey she is open to more Harry Potter"
There's a world of possibility in the Potter universe: There are many more Potter stories that Rowling could tell, says Liam at Filmonic. "She could potentially start a whole new saga with Harry’s children, or continue with Harry, Ron and Hermione as adults facing a new threat to the Wizarding World." It might not happen right now, but "in another 10 years?" Don't rule it out.
"J.K. Rowling ' could definitely write an 8th, 9th, and 10th' Harry Potter book"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- How Obama inadvertently made an Israeli war with Iran all but inevitable
Subscribe to the Week