In a recent appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show," J.K. Rowling gave fans craving a new novel in the Harry Potter series (which supposedly ended with the seventh volume, 2007's Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows) a glimmer of hope. "I could definitely write an 8th, 9th, 10th book," she told Winfrey. "I feel I am done, but you never know." How likely is another Harry Potter installment — and would it be overkill? (Watch Rowling's "Oprah" interview)
We'll take this as a "yes": Sure, it's not a "100 percent confirmation," says Phil Pirrello at IGN, but "both the creator of this world and its fans are quite passionate about anything Dumbledore and Potter-centric," so this hint seems significant. Perhaps the new books could be prequels: "Hogwarts: First Class? Dumbledore Begins?"
"Harry Potter 8 and 9?!"
It's not going to happen just yet: "Don't hold your breath," says Susana Polo at Geek System. What Rowling told Oprah should be taken "as a very author-y way of saying that you are done with a story, but you love the world and the characters." We won't be expecting a new Harry Potter book any time soon.
"J.K. Rowling talks about future Harry Potter books – But don't get too excited, now"
What is left to say? "Much of the suspense is gone," says Matt Carter at Examiner.com. At the end of the last book — spoiler alert! — we learn that Harry, Hermione, and Ron grow up and have families of their own, so what would another book be about? Different characters aren't an option, either. "'Harry Potter' is, after all, in the title."
"J.K. Rowling tells Oprah Winfrey she is open to more Harry Potter"
There's a world of possibility in the Potter universe: There are many more Potter stories that Rowling could tell, says Liam at Filmonic. "She could potentially start a whole new saga with Harry’s children, or continue with Harry, Ron and Hermione as adults facing a new threat to the Wizarding World." It might not happen right now, but "in another 10 years?" Don't rule it out.
"J.K. Rowling ' could definitely write an 8th, 9th, and 10th' Harry Potter book"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
Subscribe to the Week