Race of the day: David Vitter vs. Charlie Melancon for Senate (LA)
Dealing with the fallout of a prostitution scandal, Sen. David Vitter is pulling no punches against challenger Charlie Melançon
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||U.S. Rep. since 2005;
|Campaign Chest:||$2.2 million
|Key Quote:||"I'm a pro-life, pro-gun, Southern Democrat."||
"Several years ago, I asked for and received forgiveness from God."
|Petty Controversy:||An aide arrested for attacking his girlfriend stayed on Vitter's staff until ABC News reported the story
||Provoked outrage by telling victims of a local Ponzi scheme they "should maybe have known better"
|Wild card:||This will be the first election for Vitter since 2007, when he was linked to prostitutes in Washington and New Orleans, primarily dating back to the 1990s.
|Dueling Ads:||"Forgotten Crimes": This Melançon ad revisits Vitter's prostitution scandal and asks why there were no legal consequences
||"Luvfest": Vitter charges that Melançon is "cashing in big-time" after backing Obama and his "liberal agenda"
Charlie Melançon's "Truth":
David Vitter's "Luvfest":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- Rise of the machines
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Ban PowerPoint!
Subscribe to the Week