Race of the day: David Vitter vs. Charlie Melancon for Senate (LA)
Dealing with the fallout of a prostitution scandal, Sen. David Vitter is pulling no punches against challenger Charlie Melançon
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||U.S. Rep. since 2005;
|Campaign Chest:||$2.2 million
|Key Quote:||"I'm a pro-life, pro-gun, Southern Democrat."||
"Several years ago, I asked for and received forgiveness from God."
|Petty Controversy:||An aide arrested for attacking his girlfriend stayed on Vitter's staff until ABC News reported the story
||Provoked outrage by telling victims of a local Ponzi scheme they "should maybe have known better"
|Wild card:||This will be the first election for Vitter since 2007, when he was linked to prostitutes in Washington and New Orleans, primarily dating back to the 1990s.
|Dueling Ads:||"Forgotten Crimes": This Melançon ad revisits Vitter's prostitution scandal and asks why there were no legal consequences
||"Luvfest": Vitter charges that Melançon is "cashing in big-time" after backing Obama and his "liberal agenda"
Charlie Melançon's "Truth":
David Vitter's "Luvfest":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week