Race of the day: David Vitter vs. Charlie Melancon for Senate (LA)
Dealing with the fallout of a prostitution scandal, Sen. David Vitter is pulling no punches against challenger Charlie Melançon
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||U.S. Rep. since 2005;
|Campaign Chest:||$2.2 million
|Key Quote:||"I'm a pro-life, pro-gun, Southern Democrat."||
"Several years ago, I asked for and received forgiveness from God."
|Petty Controversy:||An aide arrested for attacking his girlfriend stayed on Vitter's staff until ABC News reported the story
||Provoked outrage by telling victims of a local Ponzi scheme they "should maybe have known better"
|Wild card:||This will be the first election for Vitter since 2007, when he was linked to prostitutes in Washington and New Orleans, primarily dating back to the 1990s.
|Dueling Ads:||"Forgotten Crimes": This Melançon ad revisits Vitter's prostitution scandal and asks why there were no legal consequences
||"Luvfest": Vitter charges that Melançon is "cashing in big-time" after backing Obama and his "liberal agenda"
Charlie Melançon's "Truth":
David Vitter's "Luvfest":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
- How Hillary Clinton's 'smart power' turned Libya into a dumpster fire
Subscribe to the Week