Race of the day: David Vitter vs. Charlie Melancon for Senate (LA)
Dealing with the fallout of a prostitution scandal, Sen. David Vitter is pulling no punches against challenger Charlie Melançon
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||U.S. Rep. since 2005;
|Campaign Chest:||$2.2 million
|Key Quote:||"I'm a pro-life, pro-gun, Southern Democrat."||
"Several years ago, I asked for and received forgiveness from God."
|Petty Controversy:||An aide arrested for attacking his girlfriend stayed on Vitter's staff until ABC News reported the story
||Provoked outrage by telling victims of a local Ponzi scheme they "should maybe have known better"
|Wild card:||This will be the first election for Vitter since 2007, when he was linked to prostitutes in Washington and New Orleans, primarily dating back to the 1990s.
|Dueling Ads:||"Forgotten Crimes": This Melançon ad revisits Vitter's prostitution scandal and asks why there were no legal consequences
||"Luvfest": Vitter charges that Melançon is "cashing in big-time" after backing Obama and his "liberal agenda"
Charlie Melançon's "Truth":
David Vitter's "Luvfest":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
Subscribe to the Week