he video: By remixing vintage Disney cartoons with recent talk-radio audio snippets, political artist and "pop culture hacker" Jonathan McIntosh has created a seven-minute clip about a cash-strapped, downtrodden Donald Duck finding solace in Glenn Beck's radio show. (Watch video below.) In the spot, which has quickly gone viral, Donald comes to see Goofy and Pluto as "communists and Marxists" and grows apoplectic over the threat of Obama, immigrants, and other Beck targets.
The reaction: "This is brilliant," says Joe Carter at First Things. The Donald Duck-Glenn Beck pairing certainly "makes sense," says Max Read at Gawker. They're both "angry, inarticulate, and white." Even Glenn Beck admits that it's "some of the best, well-made propaganda I have ever seen." Watch it while you can says Henry at Crooked Timber. I suspect that a "take-down notice from the Mickey copyright mafia" is forthcoming. Here's the clip:
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- The secrets of happy families
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Do Americans still believe in the American Dream?
- The U.S. auto bailout is officially over. Here's what America lost and gained.
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
Subscribe to the Week