Race of the day: Whitman vs. Brown for California governor
Tech billionaire and political neophyte Meg Whitman faces off with 72-year old former governor Jerry Brown
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Former gov., '75-'83;
|Former CEO of Ebay;
|Campaign Chest:||$22.5 million
|Key Quote:||"Meg flunked the most fundamental test of all, and that is to treat people with respect and decency."||
"You should be ashamed for sacrificing Nicky Diaz on the altar of your political ambitions."
|Petty Controversy:||Violated travel ban to Cuba, using CIA operative as travel agent
||For 9 years employed illegal immigrant Nicky Diaz as a maid
|Wild card:||Meg Whitman is worth $1.2 billion and has already set a record for personal spending on a campaign: $119 million as of 9/15
|Dueling Ads:||"The Real Meg Whitman": Brown charges that Whitman's conduct in the business world shows a lack of character
||"Your Plane": Whitman suggests that Brown was a bit too liberal in his use of a taxpayer-funded airplane
Jerry Brown's "The Real Meg Whitman":
Meg Whitman's "Your Plane":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- It's time to kill school picture day
Subscribe to the Week