The video: As Obama was delivering a speech to Fortune magazine's "Most Powerful Women" summit on Tuesday, the presidential seal fell off the front of his podium. "Oh goodness," the president ad-libbed at the Washington event. "That's all right. All of you know who I am." He then ventured a guess that at least one member of the set-up team was "sweating bullets."
The reaction: "Metaphor alert!" cries Ed Driscoll at Pajamas Media, summing up the tone of punditry on this unfortunate incident. "The trappings of the presidency are falling down around President Obama," says Dana Milbank at The Washington Post — literally, in this case. The seal was obviously "expressing its distaste with two years of compromise and failure to support progressive values," says Nitasha Tiku in New York. Besides, the Democrats are going to get pasted in the midterms. "You thought the seal was gonna stick around for that?" Watch a video of the seal making its escape:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Are hedge funds doomed?
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 11 surprisingly apt lessons from Machiavelli's The Prince
Subscribe to the Week