The video: As Obama was delivering a speech to Fortune magazine's "Most Powerful Women" summit on Tuesday, the presidential seal fell off the front of his podium. "Oh goodness," the president ad-libbed at the Washington event. "That's all right. All of you know who I am." He then ventured a guess that at least one member of the set-up team was "sweating bullets."
The reaction: "Metaphor alert!" cries Ed Driscoll at Pajamas Media, summing up the tone of punditry on this unfortunate incident. "The trappings of the presidency are falling down around President Obama," says Dana Milbank at The Washington Post — literally, in this case. The seal was obviously "expressing its distaste with two years of compromise and failure to support progressive values," says Nitasha Tiku in New York. Besides, the Democrats are going to get pasted in the midterms. "You thought the seal was gonna stick around for that?" Watch a video of the seal making its escape:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Game of Thrones is making a huge mistake by cutting Lady Stoneheart
- How to make classic pulled pork
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week