The video: As Obama was delivering a speech to Fortune magazine's "Most Powerful Women" summit on Tuesday, the presidential seal fell off the front of his podium. "Oh goodness," the president ad-libbed at the Washington event. "That's all right. All of you know who I am." He then ventured a guess that at least one member of the set-up team was "sweating bullets."
The reaction: "Metaphor alert!" cries Ed Driscoll at Pajamas Media, summing up the tone of punditry on this unfortunate incident. "The trappings of the presidency are falling down around President Obama," says Dana Milbank at The Washington Post — literally, in this case. The seal was obviously "expressing its distaste with two years of compromise and failure to support progressive values," says Nitasha Tiku in New York. Besides, the Democrats are going to get pasted in the midterms. "You thought the seal was gonna stick around for that?" Watch a video of the seal making its escape:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
Subscribe to the Week