The video: As Obama was delivering a speech to Fortune magazine's "Most Powerful Women" summit on Tuesday, the presidential seal fell off the front of his podium. "Oh goodness," the president ad-libbed at the Washington event. "That's all right. All of you know who I am." He then ventured a guess that at least one member of the set-up team was "sweating bullets."
The reaction: "Metaphor alert!" cries Ed Driscoll at Pajamas Media, summing up the tone of punditry on this unfortunate incident. "The trappings of the presidency are falling down around President Obama," says Dana Milbank at The Washington Post — literally, in this case. The seal was obviously "expressing its distaste with two years of compromise and failure to support progressive values," says Nitasha Tiku in New York. Besides, the Democrats are going to get pasted in the midterms. "You thought the seal was gonna stick around for that?" Watch a video of the seal making its escape:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week