Race of the day: Patty Murray vs. Dino Rossi for Senate (WA)
In Washington state, "mom in tennis shoes" Sen. Patty Murray faces a tight contest with Republican businessman Dino Rossi
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Three-term incumbent;
|Fmr state legislator;
|Campaign Chest:||$3.2 million
|Key Quote:||"The health system we had in place wasn't working for anyone."||
"She's never had a private-sector job in her adult life."
|Petty Controversy:||Enraged Alabamans by suggesting that relatively few things are built or manufactured in that state
||Ripped the stimulus package, then toured a shipyard that had added dozens of job after getting stimulus funds
|Wild card:||Rossi enjoys statewide name recognition many challengers can't touch — in 2004, he lost the governor's race by 133 votes, following two recounts.
|Dueling Ads:||"Gambling": This Murray ad accuses Rossi, part-owner of a bank, of siding with Wall Street against the interests of the middle class
||"Which One?": This Rossi ad says that Murray cares more about the Reid-Pelosi agenda than helping Washington state
Patty Murray's "Gambling":
Dino Rossi's "Which One?":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I choose not to be rich
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- What if The Purge was real?
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
Subscribe to the Week