Race of the day: Patty Murray vs. Dino Rossi for Senate (WA)
In Washington state, "mom in tennis shoes" Sen. Patty Murray faces a tight contest with Republican businessman Dino Rossi
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Three-term incumbent;
|Fmr state legislator;
|Campaign Chest:||$3.2 million
|Key Quote:||"The health system we had in place wasn't working for anyone."||
"She's never had a private-sector job in her adult life."
|Petty Controversy:||Enraged Alabamans by suggesting that relatively few things are built or manufactured in that state
||Ripped the stimulus package, then toured a shipyard that had added dozens of job after getting stimulus funds
|Wild card:||Rossi enjoys statewide name recognition many challengers can't touch — in 2004, he lost the governor's race by 133 votes, following two recounts.
|Dueling Ads:||"Gambling": This Murray ad accuses Rossi, part-owner of a bank, of siding with Wall Street against the interests of the middle class
||"Which One?": This Rossi ad says that Murray cares more about the Reid-Pelosi agenda than helping Washington state
Patty Murray's "Gambling":
Dino Rossi's "Which One?":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
Subscribe to the Week