Apple will release a new iPhone compatible with Verizon, the nation's most popular mobile carrier, in "the first quarter of 2011" — if The Wall Street Journal can be believed. Almost immediately after the iconic phone's 2007 release, customers began complaining about the quality of service from its exclusive carrier, AT&T — triggering unsubstantiated reports and rumors that a (presumably more reliable) Verizon iPhone would soon come to the rescue. Here's a quick look at three years of false promises:
November 2007: Let the unfounded rumors begin
"My prediction is that... within a year from now, money will be exchanged to end the five-year Apple-AT&T agreement before it meets the end of its natural life in June, 2013." (ZDNet)
September 2008: You'll have one in 2009!
"A leading Apple blog posted a rumor Sunday that the iPhone — which is currently available in the United States only through AT&T Wireless — could be coming to Verizon, perhaps as early as January 2009." (Fortune)
April 2009: Get excited for 2010!
"Apple is in late-game talks with Verizon about the iPhone. Specifically, the iPhone could be coming to Verizon’s network as soon as next year...." (Wired)
November 2009: Make that late 2010...
"[An analyst] expects a CDMA-only phone specifically made for Verizon Wireless, the largest mobile carrier in the U.S., to debut in the second half of next year." (AppleInsider)
March 2010: Yes, late 2010, confirms the WSJ!
"Apple Inc. plans to begin producing this year a new iPhone that could allow U.S. phone carriers other than AT&T Inc. to sell the iconic gadget...." (Wall Street Journal)
June 2010: Get excited for January 2011!
The Verizon iPhone "will be available to customers in January." (Bloomberg)
October 2010: Let's make that early 2011...
"Apple Inc. is making a version of its iPhone that Verizon Wireless will sell early next year, according to people familiar with the matter." (Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
Subscribe to the Week