Race of day: Joe Manchin vs. John Raese for Senate (WV)
West Virginia's governor and a steel magnate face off for the Senate seat long occupied by Robert Byrd
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Governor of W.V. since 2005;
|Steel and radio magnate;
|Key Quote:||"Obama has never invited me to the Oval Office."||
"If you want an Obama rubber stamp, Manchin is your guy."
|Petty Controversy:||Daughter awarded West Virginia University MBA despite lack of required courses
||Sought "hicky" (i.e. resembling hicks) out-of-state actors for campaign commercial
|Wild card:||West Virginia has not elected a Republican senator since 1958
|Dueling Ads:||"Priorities": This Manchin ad is framed around a clip of Raese saying he's in the business of making money, not creating jobs
||"Rubber Stamp": This Raese spot suggests his opponent would side with Obama and vote for imposing a carbon tax on coal
Joe Manchin's "Priorities":
John Raese's "Rubber Stamp":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week