Race of day: Joe Manchin vs. John Raese for Senate (WV)
West Virginia's governor and a steel magnate face off for the Senate seat long occupied by Robert Byrd
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Governor of W.V. since 2005;
|Steel and radio magnate;
|Key Quote:||"Obama has never invited me to the Oval Office."||
"If you want an Obama rubber stamp, Manchin is your guy."
|Petty Controversy:||Daughter awarded West Virginia University MBA despite lack of required courses
||Sought "hicky" (i.e. resembling hicks) out-of-state actors for campaign commercial
|Wild card:||West Virginia has not elected a Republican senator since 1958
|Dueling Ads:||"Priorities": This Manchin ad is framed around a clip of Raese saying he's in the business of making money, not creating jobs
||"Rubber Stamp": This Raese spot suggests his opponent would side with Obama and vote for imposing a carbon tax on coal
Joe Manchin's "Priorities":
John Raese's "Rubber Stamp":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week