Race of day: Joe Manchin vs. John Raese for Senate (WV)
West Virginia's governor and a steel magnate face off for the Senate seat long occupied by Robert Byrd
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Governor of W.V. since 2005;
|Steel and radio magnate;
|Key Quote:||"Obama has never invited me to the Oval Office."||
"If you want an Obama rubber stamp, Manchin is your guy."
|Petty Controversy:||Daughter awarded West Virginia University MBA despite lack of required courses
||Sought "hicky" (i.e. resembling hicks) out-of-state actors for campaign commercial
|Wild card:||West Virginia has not elected a Republican senator since 1958
|Dueling Ads:||"Priorities": This Manchin ad is framed around a clip of Raese saying he's in the business of making money, not creating jobs
||"Rubber Stamp": This Raese spot suggests his opponent would side with Obama and vote for imposing a carbon tax on coal
Joe Manchin's "Priorities":
John Raese's "Rubber Stamp":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Why I choose not to be rich
- What if The Purge was real?
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
Subscribe to the Week