Race of the day: Alan Grayson vs. Daniel Webster for Congress (FL-08)
Provocative liberal congressman Alan Grayson faces a tough fight in his Orlando district against conservative Christian Daniel Webster
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||One-term incumbent;
|Former state senator;
|Campaign Chest:||$1.4 million
|Key Quote:||"Republicans want you to die quickly if you get sick."||
"I'm taking the high road."
|Petty Controversy:||Called a female Fed advisor a "K Street whore" during an interview on a conspiracy-oriented radio show
||Used a state party credit card to charge nearly $10,000 at Tallahassee restaurants
|Wild card:||Grayson's many incendiary statements have made him a high-profile target for national Republicans
|Dueling Ads:||"Taliban Dan": This Grayson ad charges that Webster is a "radical fundamentalist" who wants to take away womens' basic rights
||"Sandy Speaks": In this spot, Webster's wife Sandy attests to his love and devotion to his family and promises he'll change D.C.
Alan Grayson's "Taliban Dan":
Daniel Webster's "Sandy Speaks":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week