The video: President Obama's trip to Philadelphia to rally the Democrat base did not go smoothly. Not only did a member of the crowd hurl a book at the president (see 00:23 in the video below) but a pudgy promotionally-minded streaker further disrupted the event. Although the first incident evoked the 2008 Baghdad press conference when an angry Iraqi journalist pelted his shoe at President Bush, a Secret Service spokesperson says the "over-exuberant" book-tosser just wanted the president to read a book he'd written. The streaker's appearance was, it seems, engineered by Akli David, a British billionaire who's earned headlines by offering $1 million to the first person to streak in front of the president with the name of David's website, Battlecam.com, written on his chest.
The reaction: If it was the streaker who threw the book, "I don't want to know how he smuggled it in," jokes Doug Powers at MichelleMalkin.com. Looks like the Left has "finally found their 'out of control teabagger,'" though. (The Secret Service says the two incidents aren't related.) But this "security lapse" is no laughing matter, says Charles Johnson at Little Green Footballs. "Somebody in the President's security detail wasn't alert enough today." Watch the clip:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- How to live a long life, according to science
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
Subscribe to the Week