Race of the day: Susana Martinez vs. Diane Denish for N.M. governor
A local Republican prosecutor leads in the polls — and stands poised to become the nation's first Latina governor
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Gov. Bill Richardson's lt. gov. since '03
|District attorney of Las Cruces, NM
|Campaign Chest:||$1.3 million
|Key Quote:||"My opponent, she wants to run against Bill Richardson."||
"We have to...make sure we don't have a third Bill Richardson-Diane Denish administration."
|Petty Controversy:||A Denish campaign ad featured the endorsement of teacher whose husband spent 23 years in prison for kidnapping
||Martinez was born and raised in El Paso, Texas. The Denish campaign has tried to suggest that her primary loyalties are to the Lone Star state, not New Mexico
|Wild card:||If Martinez wins, she would be the first female Hispanic governor in U.S. history
|Dueling Ads:||"Es Una Tejana": In this ad, the Denish campaign suggests that Martinez is "bought and paid for by Texas billionaires"
||"License": This Martinez spot argues that Denish coddles illegal immigrants and that Martinez will get tough
Diane Denish's "Susana Es Una Tejana":
Susana Martinez's "License":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Why we gossip, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week