Race of the day: Susana Martinez vs. Diane Denish for N.M. governor
A local Republican prosecutor leads in the polls — and stands poised to become the nation's first Latina governor
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Gov. Bill Richardson's lt. gov. since '03
|District attorney of Las Cruces, NM
|Campaign Chest:||$1.3 million
|Key Quote:||"My opponent, she wants to run against Bill Richardson."||
"We have to...make sure we don't have a third Bill Richardson-Diane Denish administration."
|Petty Controversy:||A Denish campaign ad featured the endorsement of teacher whose husband spent 23 years in prison for kidnapping
||Martinez was born and raised in El Paso, Texas. The Denish campaign has tried to suggest that her primary loyalties are to the Lone Star state, not New Mexico
|Wild card:||If Martinez wins, she would be the first female Hispanic governor in U.S. history
|Dueling Ads:||"Es Una Tejana": In this ad, the Denish campaign suggests that Martinez is "bought and paid for by Texas billionaires"
||"License": This Martinez spot argues that Denish coddles illegal immigrants and that Martinez will get tough
Diane Denish's "Susana Es Una Tejana":
Susana Martinez's "License":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 10 things you need to know today: July 22, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Why America is duty-bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week