Race of the day: Susana Martinez vs. Diane Denish for N.M. governor
A local Republican prosecutor leads in the polls — and stands poised to become the nation's first Latina governor
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Gov. Bill Richardson's lt. gov. since '03
|District attorney of Las Cruces, NM
|Campaign Chest:||$1.3 million
|Key Quote:||"My opponent, she wants to run against Bill Richardson."||
"We have to...make sure we don't have a third Bill Richardson-Diane Denish administration."
|Petty Controversy:||A Denish campaign ad featured the endorsement of teacher whose husband spent 23 years in prison for kidnapping
||Martinez was born and raised in El Paso, Texas. The Denish campaign has tried to suggest that her primary loyalties are to the Lone Star state, not New Mexico
|Wild card:||If Martinez wins, she would be the first female Hispanic governor in U.S. history
|Dueling Ads:||"Es Una Tejana": In this ad, the Denish campaign suggests that Martinez is "bought and paid for by Texas billionaires"
||"License": This Martinez spot argues that Denish coddles illegal immigrants and that Martinez will get tough
Diane Denish's "Susana Es Una Tejana":
Susana Martinez's "License":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
Subscribe to the Week