Race of the day: Susana Martinez vs. Diane Denish for N.M. governor
A local Republican prosecutor leads in the polls — and stands poised to become the nation's first Latina governor
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Gov. Bill Richardson's lt. gov. since '03
|District attorney of Las Cruces, NM
|Campaign Chest:||$1.3 million
|Key Quote:||"My opponent, she wants to run against Bill Richardson."||
"We have to...make sure we don't have a third Bill Richardson-Diane Denish administration."
|Petty Controversy:||A Denish campaign ad featured the endorsement of teacher whose husband spent 23 years in prison for kidnapping
||Martinez was born and raised in El Paso, Texas. The Denish campaign has tried to suggest that her primary loyalties are to the Lone Star state, not New Mexico
|Wild card:||If Martinez wins, she would be the first female Hispanic governor in U.S. history
|Dueling Ads:||"Es Una Tejana": In this ad, the Denish campaign suggests that Martinez is "bought and paid for by Texas billionaires"
||"License": This Martinez spot argues that Denish coddles illegal immigrants and that Martinez will get tough
Diane Denish's "Susana Es Una Tejana":
Susana Martinez's "License":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week