The video: Eagle-eyed Lady Gaga fans have discovered that their idol, then simply known as Stefani Germanotta, had a tiny role on HBO show The Sopranos in 2001. The 15-year-old Germanotta appears as a giggly schoolgirl who sits in the bleachers smoking while watching Tony Soprano's son, A.J., swim laps and vandalize school property with his friends. Clad in jeans, and with long, light brown hair, Gaga appears quite different from the flamboyant performer she is today.
The reaction: This video proves that even this "outrageous" icon was once "just an awkward 15-year-old," says Mark Marino at CNN. Gaga fanatics will be shocked for two reasons, says Christian Blauvelt in Entertainment Weekly. One, she's wearing pants and two, she doesn't have dyed hair. Gaga has since put a "fatwa on pants," while her natural hair color hasn't "seen the light of day since at least 2007." It's certainly "a change from seeing her in clothes comprised of raw sirloin," adds Gordon Smart in The Sun. Watch the clip:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
Subscribe to the Week