The video: Eagle-eyed Lady Gaga fans have discovered that their idol, then simply known as Stefani Germanotta, had a tiny role on HBO show The Sopranos in 2001. The 15-year-old Germanotta appears as a giggly schoolgirl who sits in the bleachers smoking while watching Tony Soprano's son, A.J., swim laps and vandalize school property with his friends. Clad in jeans, and with long, light brown hair, Gaga appears quite different from the flamboyant performer she is today.
The reaction: This video proves that even this "outrageous" icon was once "just an awkward 15-year-old," says Mark Marino at CNN. Gaga fanatics will be shocked for two reasons, says Christian Blauvelt in Entertainment Weekly. One, she's wearing pants and two, she doesn't have dyed hair. Gaga has since put a "fatwa on pants," while her natural hair color hasn't "seen the light of day since at least 2007." It's certainly "a change from seeing her in clothes comprised of raw sirloin," adds Gordon Smart in The Sun. Watch the clip:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week