|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Physician, professor
|Two-term incumbent, CA-03
|Campaign Chest:||$1.1 million
"Lungren is looking out for himself. He's looking out for the folks who line his pockets."
"Every commercial he's done, everything that he's done, has been a personal attack."
|Petty Controversy:||Returned campaign donation from Hamas-linked group
||Was pulled over for speeding during a live radio interview
|Wild card:||Historically conservative, California's 3rd district — which includes Sacramento's eastern suburbs — has been trending left in recent years
|Dueling Ads:||"Shirt": In this ad, Bera accuses Lungren of skirting ethics laws in order to take a lobbyist-funded vacation in Hawaii
||"Pelosi": Lungren says that Bera is a "Pelosi clone" who favors a "nanny state"
Ami Bera's "Shirt":
Dan Lungren's "Pelosi":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
Subscribe to the Week