|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||State treasurer
|Campaign Chest:||$1 million
|Key Quote:||"He voted for every one of the Bush budgets, which doubled our national debt."||
"While we did run deficits in the past, we now number our debt in trillions rather than in billions."
|Petty Controversy:||Kirk says Giannoulias' family bank, Broadway Bank, gave loans to an arms dealer linked to Saddam Hussein
||Kirk admitted to embellishing his military service and credentials as a teacher
|Wild card:||In a tight race, some observers think Green Party candidate LeAlan Jones could tip the balance
|Dueling Ads:||"Whopper": In this ad, Giannoulias suggests "fiscal hawk" Kirk wants to give $700 billion in tax cuts for the rich, but doesn't want to pay for it
||"Kidding": This Kirk ad suggests that Giannoulias has a history of financial recklessness and, if elected, would boost taxes and spending
Alexi Giannoulias' "Whopper":
Mark Kirk's "Kidding":
* "Nasty": "The race for the U.S. Senate between Democrat Alexi Giannoulias and Republican Mark Kirk is one of the most nasty in recent memory — and that’s saying a lot in this age of negative campaigning." - Bloomington Pantagraph, 10/17/10
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week