|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||State treasurer
|Campaign Chest:||$1 million
|Key Quote:||"He voted for every one of the Bush budgets, which doubled our national debt."||
"While we did run deficits in the past, we now number our debt in trillions rather than in billions."
|Petty Controversy:||Kirk says Giannoulias' family bank, Broadway Bank, gave loans to an arms dealer linked to Saddam Hussein
||Kirk admitted to embellishing his military service and credentials as a teacher
|Wild card:||In a tight race, some observers think Green Party candidate LeAlan Jones could tip the balance
|Dueling Ads:||"Whopper": In this ad, Giannoulias suggests "fiscal hawk" Kirk wants to give $700 billion in tax cuts for the rich, but doesn't want to pay for it
||"Kidding": This Kirk ad suggests that Giannoulias has a history of financial recklessness and, if elected, would boost taxes and spending
Alexi Giannoulias' "Whopper":
Mark Kirk's "Kidding":
* "Nasty": "The race for the U.S. Senate between Democrat Alexi Giannoulias and Republican Mark Kirk is one of the most nasty in recent memory — and that’s saying a lot in this age of negative campaigning." - Bloomington Pantagraph, 10/17/10
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week