|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||State treasurer
|Campaign Chest:||$1 million
|Key Quote:||"He voted for every one of the Bush budgets, which doubled our national debt."||
"While we did run deficits in the past, we now number our debt in trillions rather than in billions."
|Petty Controversy:||Kirk says Giannoulias' family bank, Broadway Bank, gave loans to an arms dealer linked to Saddam Hussein
||Kirk admitted to embellishing his military service and credentials as a teacher
|Wild card:||In a tight race, some observers think Green Party candidate LeAlan Jones could tip the balance
|Dueling Ads:||"Whopper": In this ad, Giannoulias suggests "fiscal hawk" Kirk wants to give $700 billion in tax cuts for the rich, but doesn't want to pay for it
||"Kidding": This Kirk ad suggests that Giannoulias has a history of financial recklessness and, if elected, would boost taxes and spending
Alexi Giannoulias' "Whopper":
Mark Kirk's "Kidding":
* "Nasty": "The race for the U.S. Senate between Democrat Alexi Giannoulias and Republican Mark Kirk is one of the most nasty in recent memory — and that’s saying a lot in this age of negative campaigning." - Bloomington Pantagraph, 10/17/10
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week