Race of the day: Alex Sink vs. Rick Scott for Florida governor
A deep-pocketed and scandal-tainted former CEO is running slightly ahead of Florida's CFO in the race to become that state's next governor
|Name & Party:||
Fla.'s chief financial officer
Former health-care CEO
|Campaign Chest:||$9 million
|Key Quote:||"Regulation is killing jobs."
||"[Sink]'s an Obama liberal."
|Petty Controversy:||Accused of making extra stops on an official state aircraft to pick up and drop off family members
||Hired a former RNC chief of staff implicated in that organization's "lesbian bondage" scandal
|Wild card:||When Scott was CEO of health-care giant Columbia/HCA the company was massively overbilling Medicare, leading to a $1.7 billion fine; as a result, the national GOP has been wary of embracing his candidacy
|Dueling Ads:||"Difference": Sink says that while Rick Scott is busy attacking Obama, she'll focus on Florida's challenges
||"Obama's Mosque": Scott argues that "Ground Zero" is an inappropriate place for a mosque
Alex Sink's "Difference":
Rick Scott's "Obama's Mosque":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Congress' craven approach toward the war on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week