Race of the day: Alex Sink vs. Rick Scott for Florida governor
A deep-pocketed and scandal-tainted former CEO is running slightly ahead of Florida's CFO in the race to become that state's next governor
|Name & Party:||
Fla.'s chief financial officer
Former health-care CEO
|Campaign Chest:||$9 million
|Key Quote:||"Regulation is killing jobs."
||"[Sink]'s an Obama liberal."
|Petty Controversy:||Accused of making extra stops on an official state aircraft to pick up and drop off family members
||Hired a former RNC chief of staff implicated in that organization's "lesbian bondage" scandal
|Wild card:||When Scott was CEO of health-care giant Columbia/HCA the company was massively overbilling Medicare, leading to a $1.7 billion fine; as a result, the national GOP has been wary of embracing his candidacy
|Dueling Ads:||"Difference": Sink says that while Rick Scott is busy attacking Obama, she'll focus on Florida's challenges
||"Obama's Mosque": Scott argues that "Ground Zero" is an inappropriate place for a mosque
Alex Sink's "Difference":
Rick Scott's "Obama's Mosque":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why are there so few female mass murderers?
Subscribe to the Week