Race of the day: Alex Sink vs. Rick Scott for Florida governor
A deep-pocketed and scandal-tainted former CEO is running slightly ahead of Florida's CFO in the race to become that state's next governor
|Name & Party:||
Fla.'s chief financial officer
Former health-care CEO
|Campaign Chest:||$9 million
|Key Quote:||"Regulation is killing jobs."
||"[Sink]'s an Obama liberal."
|Petty Controversy:||Accused of making extra stops on an official state aircraft to pick up and drop off family members
||Hired a former RNC chief of staff implicated in that organization's "lesbian bondage" scandal
|Wild card:||When Scott was CEO of health-care giant Columbia/HCA the company was massively overbilling Medicare, leading to a $1.7 billion fine; as a result, the national GOP has been wary of embracing his candidacy
|Dueling Ads:||"Difference": Sink says that while Rick Scott is busy attacking Obama, she'll focus on Florida's challenges
||"Obama's Mosque": Scott argues that "Ground Zero" is an inappropriate place for a mosque
Alex Sink's "Difference":
Rick Scott's "Obama's Mosque":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week