Race of the day: Paladino vs. Cuomo for New York governor
In the Empire State, controversial real-estate developer Carl Paladino takes on the son of former governor Mario Cuomo
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||NY attorney general since 2007
|Buffalo, NY real-estate mogul
|Campaign Chest:||$19.9 million
|Key Quote||"Mr. Paladino has his own Tea Party; it's an extreme brew."||
"Has anybody asked Andrew Cuomo about his paramours?"
|Petty Controversy:||Drew flack for using phrase "shuck and jive" in reference to President Obama's '08 campaign
||Threatened to "take out" a journalist who, Paladino said, had photographers "stalking" the young daughter Paladino has with his former mistress
|Wild card:||Paladino drew national attention — and condemnation from a gay nephew — after he delivered a "homophobic" speech to Orthodox Jewish leaders.
|Dueling Ads:||"Takes On": In this ad, Cuomo accuses Paladino of benefitting from "questionable" tax breaks and insider deals
||"I'll stop the mosque": Paladino promises to block the development of the Park51 Islamic center near Ground Zero
Cuomo's "Takes On":
Paladino's "I'll Stop the Mosque":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- A brief history of the Guy Fawkes mask
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
Subscribe to the Week