Race of the day: Paladino vs. Cuomo for New York governor
In the Empire State, controversial real-estate developer Carl Paladino takes on the son of former governor Mario Cuomo
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||NY attorney general since 2007
|Buffalo, NY real-estate mogul
|Campaign Chest:||$19.9 million
|Key Quote||"Mr. Paladino has his own Tea Party; it's an extreme brew."||
"Has anybody asked Andrew Cuomo about his paramours?"
|Petty Controversy:||Drew flack for using phrase "shuck and jive" in reference to President Obama's '08 campaign
||Threatened to "take out" a journalist who, Paladino said, had photographers "stalking" the young daughter Paladino has with his former mistress
|Wild card:||Paladino drew national attention — and condemnation from a gay nephew — after he delivered a "homophobic" speech to Orthodox Jewish leaders.
|Dueling Ads:||"Takes On": In this ad, Cuomo accuses Paladino of benefitting from "questionable" tax breaks and insider deals
||"I'll stop the mosque": Paladino promises to block the development of the Park51 Islamic center near Ground Zero
Cuomo's "Takes On":
Paladino's "I'll Stop the Mosque":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
Subscribe to the Week