Race of the day: Paladino vs. Cuomo for New York governor
In the Empire State, controversial real-estate developer Carl Paladino takes on the son of former governor Mario Cuomo
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||NY attorney general since 2007
|Buffalo, NY real-estate mogul
|Campaign Chest:||$19.9 million
|Key Quote||"Mr. Paladino has his own Tea Party; it's an extreme brew."||
"Has anybody asked Andrew Cuomo about his paramours?"
|Petty Controversy:||Drew flack for using phrase "shuck and jive" in reference to President Obama's '08 campaign
||Threatened to "take out" a journalist who, Paladino said, had photographers "stalking" the young daughter Paladino has with his former mistress
|Wild card:||Paladino drew national attention — and condemnation from a gay nephew — after he delivered a "homophobic" speech to Orthodox Jewish leaders.
|Dueling Ads:||"Takes On": In this ad, Cuomo accuses Paladino of benefitting from "questionable" tax breaks and insider deals
||"I'll stop the mosque": Paladino promises to block the development of the Park51 Islamic center near Ground Zero
Cuomo's "Takes On":
Paladino's "I'll Stop the Mosque":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- The odds are 11 million to 1 that you'll die in a plane crash
Subscribe to the Week