he video: Promising plenty of mama grizzly action, both literal and figurative, TLC has released a 30-second trailer for its highly anticipated new reality show, "Sarah Palin's Alaska." The video montage shows the Palin clan on wilderness expeditions — mom "Oh, Gosh!"-ing her way across a glacier on touring skiis — and around the house, where both domestic bliss and parental discipline come in family-size portions. "No lobbyists. Only one agenda. Family adventure," read the onscreen graphics. The video ends with Palin telling cameras, "I'd rather be doing this than in some stuffy ol' political office. I'd rather be out here bein' free." The eight-part series, "Sarah Palin's Alaska," begins on Nov. 14.
The reaction: Regardless of how you feel about Sarah Palin, says Jessica Carlson at Examiner.com, "the trailer does a good job of capturing the charm that has brought her from Alaska Governor to Vice Presidential candidate to a pop culture icon." We were heartened by Palin's admission that she prefers being in Alaska to politics, says Adrian Chen at Gawker. "There you go. She'll never be president!" Watch the trailer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
8 Facebook misfires that ruined lives
Subscribe to the Week