The video: Promising plenty of mama grizzly action, both literal and figurative, TLC has released a 30-second trailer for its highly anticipated new reality show, "Sarah Palin's Alaska." The video montage shows the Palin clan on wilderness expeditions — mom "Oh, Gosh!"-ing her way across a glacier on touring skiis — and around the house, where both domestic bliss and parental discipline come in family-size portions. "No lobbyists. Only one agenda. Family adventure," read the onscreen graphics. The video ends with Palin telling cameras, "I'd rather be doing this than in some stuffy ol' political office. I'd rather be out here bein' free." The eight-part series, "Sarah Palin's Alaska," begins on Nov. 14.
The reaction: Regardless of how you feel about Sarah Palin, says Jessica Carlson at Examiner.com, "the trailer does a good job of capturing the charm that has brought her from Alaska Governor to Vice Presidential candidate to a pop culture icon." We were heartened by Palin's admission that she prefers being in Alaska to politics, says Adrian Chen at Gawker. "There you go. She'll never be president!" Watch the trailer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The week's best photojournalism
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week