The video: Promising plenty of mama grizzly action, both literal and figurative, TLC has released a 30-second trailer for its highly anticipated new reality show, "Sarah Palin's Alaska." The video montage shows the Palin clan on wilderness expeditions — mom "Oh, Gosh!"-ing her way across a glacier on touring skiis — and around the house, where both domestic bliss and parental discipline come in family-size portions. "No lobbyists. Only one agenda. Family adventure," read the onscreen graphics. The video ends with Palin telling cameras, "I'd rather be doing this than in some stuffy ol' political office. I'd rather be out here bein' free." The eight-part series, "Sarah Palin's Alaska," begins on Nov. 14.
The reaction: Regardless of how you feel about Sarah Palin, says Jessica Carlson at Examiner.com, "the trailer does a good job of capturing the charm that has brought her from Alaska Governor to Vice Presidential candidate to a pop culture icon." We were heartened by Palin's admission that she prefers being in Alaska to politics, says Adrian Chen at Gawker. "There you go. She'll never be president!" Watch the trailer:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week