eghan McCain launched into a diatribe against Delaware GOP Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell on Sunday, saying she is "seen as a nutjob." During a segment on ABC's "This Week," the daughter of the former presidential candidate John McCain claimed that O'Donnell's candidacy made a "mockery out of running for public office," adding that the Tea-Party-backed Republican nominee is inexperienced, and has "no real history, no real success in any kind of business." Does Meghan McCain have a point? (Watch McCain's comments)
McCain nailed it: It's "about time someone called a spade a spade," says Patrick Roberts at Irish Central. "Christine O'Donnell is not fit to run for dogcatcher and the world knows it." The shame is, so few Republicans have the guts to stand up and say so. Hopefully, McCain's brave stand will force the GOP to "examine how someone like O'Donnell gets elected."
"Meghan McCain correctly exposes Christine O'Donnell as a nut job"
Christine O'Donnell is good for the GOP: So 26-year-old McCain thinks that "political inexperience is dangerous to the nation," says Doug Powers at Michelle Malkin.com. In truth, the problems of this country have been caused by "entrenched experienced politicians." We need people like O'Donnell to "keep the elites from having an unbreakable grip on power."
"Meghan McCain: Christine O'Donnell seen as a nutjob"
McCain was disturbing on more than one front: McCain's dismissal of O'Donnell is one thing, says Donald Douglas at American Power, but her "sweeping generalizations" about the Tea Party's so-called irrelevance to her generation worried me more. It's the Democrats who are "losing the young people," while the GOP signs up new supporters. Maybe ABC should think twice before inviting this "analyst" on air a second time.
"Clueless? Meghan McCain slams the old fogey Tea Party movement"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
Subscribe to the Week