The video: Last night's New York gubernatorial debate, expected to be a showdown between Democrat Andrew Cuomo and controversial Republican candidate Carl Paladino, was instead dominated by Jimmy McMillan, the elaborately mustachioed leader of the "Rent Is 2 Damn High" party. Clad in a pair of black gloves, McMillan repeatedly fired off non-sequiturs ("If you want to marry a shoe, I'll marry you," he said in a reference to gay marriage) and spoke of himself in the third person. Of New York's record deficit, he said: "It's like a cancer. It will heal itself." McMillan wasn't the only candidate to behave oddly. Kristin Davis, a former prostitute, made several jokes about brothels, and Paladino left the stage during the closing statements, apparently in search of the men's room.
The reaction: If you thought McMillan's debate performance was "nonsensical bluster," says Cole Stryker at Urlesque, just take a look at his party's website, which "features an embedded mp3 of McMillan rapping over a funk beat." He'll be a full-blown internet meme before the week is up. This "cross between Professor Irwin Corey and Jesse Jackson" added some color to what was otherwise a "boring" debate, says Adam Hanft at Salon. "New York has an $8.2 billion budget deficit, and massive unpaid pension liabilities." Surely we should focus on tackling that, and not on the "sideshow" of these "niche candidates." Watch the highlights of the debate here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
Subscribe to the Week