Race of the day: Harry Reid tries to keep his job
The most powerful man in the U.S. Senate is locked in a dead heat with Tea Party upstart Sharron Angle in the nation's highest-profile midterm contest
|Name & Party:||
Majority Leader in U.S. Senate
Former Nevada Assembly member
|Campaign Chest:||$4 million
|Key Quote:||"Have we done enough? Of course not."||"Government isn't what our founding fathers put into the Constitution."
|Petty Controversy:||Commented in '08 that Barack Obama was "light skinned, with no Negro dialect unless he wants to have one."
||Tried to convince a Tea Party candidate to drop out of the race by suggesting she'd use her post-election D.C. "juice" to help him out
|Wild card:||Nevada has a 14.4% unemployment rate -- the highest in the nation
|Dueling Ads:||"Wild": Reid accuses Angle of having a fringe political agenda that includes doing away with Social Security
||"Please Stop": Angle says that Reid's tenure as Senate Majority Leader has been a disaster for Nevada
Harry Reid's "Wild":
Sharron Angle's "Please Stop":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
Subscribe to the Week