Man struck by stripper's shoe receives $650,000
A Florida man has been awarded $650,000 after being hit in the face by a dancer’s shoe at a strip club. Michael Ireland, a roofer, was accidentally struck by the platform-heeled shoe of a bar-dancing stripper at the Cheetah nightclub in 2008. Since then, Ireland has experienced double vision and dizziness, which his lawyer notes is “not a good thing for a roofer.”
School district gives parents a background check
A North Carolina school district is requiring a criminal background check of parents who want to eat lunch with their young children. Some parents of students in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system complain that the background checks are “over the top,” but school officials say the new policy will “send a message to parents that their children are protected.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week