Man struck by stripper's shoe receives $650,000
A Florida man has been awarded $650,000 after being hit in the face by a dancer’s shoe at a strip club. Michael Ireland, a roofer, was accidentally struck by the platform-heeled shoe of a bar-dancing stripper at the Cheetah nightclub in 2008. Since then, Ireland has experienced double vision and dizziness, which his lawyer notes is “not a good thing for a roofer.”
School district gives parents a background check
A North Carolina school district is requiring a criminal background check of parents who want to eat lunch with their young children. Some parents of students in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system complain that the background checks are “over the top,” but school officials say the new policy will “send a message to parents that their children are protected.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- What's really limiting advances in computer tech
Subscribe to the Week