Man struck by stripper's shoe receives $650,000
A Florida man has been awarded $650,000 after being hit in the face by a dancer’s shoe at a strip club. Michael Ireland, a roofer, was accidentally struck by the platform-heeled shoe of a bar-dancing stripper at the Cheetah nightclub in 2008. Since then, Ireland has experienced double vision and dizziness, which his lawyer notes is “not a good thing for a roofer.”
School district gives parents a background check
A North Carolina school district is requiring a criminal background check of parents who want to eat lunch with their young children. Some parents of students in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system complain that the background checks are “over the top,” but school officials say the new policy will “send a message to parents that their children are protected.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to develop a photographic memory in 4 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week