Man struck by stripper's shoe receives $650,000
A Florida man has been awarded $650,000 after being hit in the face by a dancer’s shoe at a strip club. Michael Ireland, a roofer, was accidentally struck by the platform-heeled shoe of a bar-dancing stripper at the Cheetah nightclub in 2008. Since then, Ireland has experienced double vision and dizziness, which his lawyer notes is “not a good thing for a roofer.”
School district gives parents a background check
A North Carolina school district is requiring a criminal background check of parents who want to eat lunch with their young children. Some parents of students in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system complain that the background checks are “over the top,” but school officials say the new policy will “send a message to parents that their children are protected.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week