Race of the day: Pennsylvania's 'neck and neck' Senate contest
Retired admiral and sometimes-lightening rod Joe Sestak is hoping for a comeback victory in his Senate race against GOP Rep. Pat Toomey
|Name & Party:||
Ret. Admiral, Congressman
|Campaign Chest:||$2.1 million
|Key Quote:||"I always take a vote as an Independent who happens to be a Democrat."||"He is in complete lockstep with Nancy Pelosi's whole agenda."
|Petty Controversy:||In attack ad, used an unflattering photo taken while his primary opponent, Arlen Specter, was undergoing chemotherapy
||After crusading against earmarks, collected $9 million in his first term (before eventually swearing them off)
|Wild card:||Generally considered the underdog, Sestak has a history of last-minute electoral comebacks
|Dueling Ads:||"Belle": Sestak compares cleaning up after Toomey and Bush in the financial crisis to cleaning up after his family dog
||"Bailout Belle": Toomey responds to Sestak's "Belle" ad, suggesting Sestak's bank bailout vote wasn't reluctant at all
Joe Sestak's "Belle":
Pat Toomey's "Bailout Belle":
* "neck and neck" - The Takeaway
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to make corn dogs
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week