Race of the day: Pennsylvania's 'neck and neck' Senate contest
Retired admiral and sometimes-lightening rod Joe Sestak is hoping for a comeback victory in his Senate race against GOP Rep. Pat Toomey
|Name & Party:||
Ret. Admiral, Congressman
|Campaign Chest:||$2.1 million
|Key Quote:||"I always take a vote as an Independent who happens to be a Democrat."||"He is in complete lockstep with Nancy Pelosi's whole agenda."
|Petty Controversy:||In attack ad, used an unflattering photo taken while his primary opponent, Arlen Specter, was undergoing chemotherapy
||After crusading against earmarks, collected $9 million in his first term (before eventually swearing them off)
|Wild card:||Generally considered the underdog, Sestak has a history of last-minute electoral comebacks
|Dueling Ads:||"Belle": Sestak compares cleaning up after Toomey and Bush in the financial crisis to cleaning up after his family dog
||"Bailout Belle": Toomey responds to Sestak's "Belle" ad, suggesting Sestak's bank bailout vote wasn't reluctant at all
Joe Sestak's "Belle":
Pat Toomey's "Bailout Belle":
* "neck and neck" - The Takeaway
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week