The video: Texas GOP congressional candidate Stephen Broden has found himself in the spotlight after suggesting that the government may well need to be overthrown. In an interview this week, Broden was asked if he was actually calling for violence against the government when he told a crowd of Tea Party supporters last year that the "tyrannical" Obama administration might justify a "revolution." If any government destroys our liberty, Broden replied, "we have a right... to get rid of it by any means necessary." Under further questioning, the self-described "constitutionalist pastor" said that this option was "on the table" this year, though "it is not the first option." Republican Party officials denounced Broden's remarks, but did not withdraw support for him.
The reaction: Many of us have warned of "serious unpleasantness ahead" if the Tea Party's "planned takeover of the government" somehow doesn't happen, says David Neiwert at Crooks and Liars. Clearly, this Tea Party candidate agrees with me. The Tea Party is actually a "positive force in American politics," says Peter Wehner at Commentary. But its leaders and allies must make clear that this kind of "incendiary rhetoric" has no place in what is otherwise a "responsible political movement." Watch the interview with Broden here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 10 things you need to know today: November 21, 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
Subscribe to the Week