he video: This weekend saw the MTV premiere of Kanye West's 34-minute music video for "Runaway" (watch below), the critically acclaimed hit song that he debuted at this year's Video Music Awards. In the conspicuously ambitious production, model Selita Ebanks plays a phoenix who rises from the ashes and falls in love with West, only to burn herself alive when she realizes their relationship is both flawed and doomed. Bonus touches: Over-the-top dance numbers, feathered ballerinas, and snippets from several other songs.
The reaction: This video has "solidified West as unquestionably the greatest pop star of this generation," says Kyle Anderson at MTV. West's "art house" direction "really works," concurs Sam McPherson at TV Overmind. The video "is totally ballsy in the world of hip-hop." Apparently, cracks Adrian Chen at Gawker, West "wrote, directed, and starred in a Kanye West–themed episode of Glee." It's nevertheless worth seeing, if only for Ebanks' implausibly skimpy outfits. Watch the video for "Runaway":
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- The secrets of happy families
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
Subscribe to the Week