Race of day: Christine O'Donnell's longshot Senate bid
She's emerged as a bona fide media star, but Delaware Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell is still lagging in the polls
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Lawyer and elected county executive
Conservative issues advocate
|Campaign Chest:||$1.2 million
|Key Quote:||"I am not now nor have I ever been anything but a clean-shaven capitalist."||"You're just jealous you weren't on 'Saturday Night Live.'"|
|Petty Controversy:||Wrote article for college newspaper with the headline "Chris Coons: The Making of a Bearded Marxist"; claims title was a joke
||During an appearance on "Politically Incorrect" in late '90s admitted that she had "dabbled in witchcraft," including holding a "picnic on a satanic altar"
|Wild card:||While the GOP establishment has been reluctant to back O'Donnell, she is pulling in millions in online donations from Tea Partiers and conservatives across the country
|Dueling Ads:||"Chris' plan for Washington": Coons says he would stop bailouts and end tax breaks for companies that send jobs overseas
||"What I'm made of": O'Donnell says she is not a child of privilege — "I didn't go to Yale" — but she'll be a tough advocate for keeping your taxes low
Chris Coons' "Plan for Washington":
Christine O'Donnell's "What I'm Made of":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
Subscribe to the Week