Race of day: Christine O'Donnell's longshot Senate bid
She's emerged as a bona fide media star, but Delaware Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell is still lagging in the polls
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Lawyer and elected county executive
Conservative issues advocate
|Campaign Chest:||$1.2 million
|Key Quote:||"I am not now nor have I ever been anything but a clean-shaven capitalist."||"You're just jealous you weren't on 'Saturday Night Live.'"|
|Petty Controversy:||Wrote article for college newspaper with the headline "Chris Coons: The Making of a Bearded Marxist"; claims title was a joke
||During an appearance on "Politically Incorrect" in late '90s admitted that she had "dabbled in witchcraft," including holding a "picnic on a satanic altar"
|Wild card:||While the GOP establishment has been reluctant to back O'Donnell, she is pulling in millions in online donations from Tea Partiers and conservatives across the country
|Dueling Ads:||"Chris' plan for Washington": Coons says he would stop bailouts and end tax breaks for companies that send jobs overseas
||"What I'm made of": O'Donnell says she is not a child of privilege — "I didn't go to Yale" — but she'll be a tough advocate for keeping your taxes low
Chris Coons' "Plan for Washington":
Christine O'Donnell's "What I'm Made of":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week