Race of the day: Can Gov. Deval Patrick keep his job?
In left-leaning Massachusetts, Gov. Deval Patrick is trying to eke out a win over Republican rival Charlie Baker
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||One-term incumbent
Former health-care CEO
|Campaign Chest:||$1.7 million
|Key Quote:||"We can talk about slogans and gimmicks but they don't actually solve problems."||"You've proposed a tax increase every year you've been governor."|
|Petty Controversy:||Hired neighbor to $120,000-a-year post in the midst of state budget crisis
||Poached running mate of third-party candidate to work for his campaign
|Wild card:||Although Massachusetts is traditionally Democratic, it elected four straight Republican governors before Patrick.
|Dueling Ads:||"Forward": Patrick says he balanced the budget, protected health care, and kept Mass.'s schools #1 in the nation — but that Baker would have different priorities
||"What Happened": This Baker spot argues that Patrick's four years in office have been a string of scandals, blunders, and broken promises
Deval Patrick's "Forward":
Charlie Baker's "What Happened":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
Subscribe to the Week