|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||One-term incumbent
Former health-care CEO
|Campaign Chest:||$1.7 million
|Key Quote:||"We can talk about slogans and gimmicks but they don't actually solve problems."||"You've proposed a tax increase every year you've been governor."|
|Petty Controversy:||Hired neighbor to $120,000-a-year post in the midst of state budget crisis
||Poached running mate of third-party candidate to work for his campaign
|Wild card:||Although Massachusetts is traditionally Democratic, it elected four straight Republican governors before Patrick.
|Dueling Ads:||"Forward": Patrick says he balanced the budget, protected health care, and kept Mass.'s schools #1 in the nation — but that Baker would have different priorities
||"What Happened": This Baker spot argues that Patrick's four years in office have been a string of scandals, blunders, and broken promises
Deval Patrick's "Forward":
Charlie Baker's "What Happened":
- Watch The Daily Show pit Pope Francis against Fox News' 'War on Christmas'
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 10 things you need to know today: December 4, 2013
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Who will get screwed in Detroit's bankruptcy?
- Why so many Americans are missing out on the stock market boom
- These 5 far-out space projects are making science fiction a reality
Subscribe to the Week