Race of the day: Can Gov. Deval Patrick keep his job?
In left-leaning Massachusetts, Gov. Deval Patrick is trying to eke out a win over Republican rival Charlie Baker
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||One-term incumbent
Former health-care CEO
|Campaign Chest:||$1.7 million
|Key Quote:||"We can talk about slogans and gimmicks but they don't actually solve problems."||"You've proposed a tax increase every year you've been governor."|
|Petty Controversy:||Hired neighbor to $120,000-a-year post in the midst of state budget crisis
||Poached running mate of third-party candidate to work for his campaign
|Wild card:||Although Massachusetts is traditionally Democratic, it elected four straight Republican governors before Patrick.
|Dueling Ads:||"Forward": Patrick says he balanced the budget, protected health care, and kept Mass.'s schools #1 in the nation — but that Baker would have different priorities
||"What Happened": This Baker spot argues that Patrick's four years in office have been a string of scandals, blunders, and broken promises
Deval Patrick's "Forward":
Charlie Baker's "What Happened":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Captain America won over China
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week