The video: The Rand Paul supporter who was caught on video stomping on the head of a MoveOn.org protestor has suggested that an apology from his victim is in order. (Watch a local news report below.) Tim Profitt, a former Paul campaign volunteer, told a local TV station that his stompee, Lauren Valle, is a "professional" rebel-rouser and had "initiated the whole thing." Kentucky police have issued a criminal summons for Profitt, who was dismissed by the Paul campaign after the incident.
The reaction: So "the guy who stomped on a defenseless woman's head wants her to apologize to him?" asks Steve Benen at Washington Monthly. "Maybe she smudged his shoe or something." An apology might be a bit much, says Ann Althouse at her blog, but "the MoveOn.org woman came to the event to create an incident." If the Paul supporters felt threatened, then the "violent incident was prompted by the urge to defend." Just think what the Secret Service might have done to her. Watch Tim Profitt request an apology on WKYT:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
Subscribe to the Week