Race of the Day: Barney Frank in 'the fight of his life'
Out-of-nowhere Republican Sean Bielat is giving long-serving Massachusetts congressman Barney Frank a run for his money
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Fifteen-term incumbent
Consultant, Marine Corps major
|Campaign Chest:||$1.1 million
|Key Quote:||"I do not intend to be ambushed by the kind of right-wing smears that assailed John Kerry in 2004."||"There are few individuals more responsible [for the financial crisis] than Congressman Frank."|
|Petty Controversy:||Frank's boyfriend James Ready alledgedly heckled Bielat during a media interview
||Bielat was "outed" as a former Democrat by a local news site
|Wild card:||After Scott Brown's Senate victory last year, Massachusetts Republicans are feeling newly emboldened.
||"Banks": This ad argues that "you can bail out regular people or bail out the banks — and Barney chose the banks."
Sean Bielat's "Banks":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week