Race of the Day: Barney Frank in 'the fight of his life'
Out-of-nowhere Republican Sean Bielat is giving long-serving Massachusetts congressman Barney Frank a run for his money
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Fifteen-term incumbent
Consultant, Marine Corps major
|Campaign Chest:||$1.1 million
|Key Quote:||"I do not intend to be ambushed by the kind of right-wing smears that assailed John Kerry in 2004."||"There are few individuals more responsible [for the financial crisis] than Congressman Frank."|
|Petty Controversy:||Frank's boyfriend James Ready alledgedly heckled Bielat during a media interview
||Bielat was "outed" as a former Democrat by a local news site
|Wild card:||After Scott Brown's Senate victory last year, Massachusetts Republicans are feeling newly emboldened.
||"Banks": This ad argues that "you can bail out regular people or bail out the banks — and Barney chose the banks."
Sean Bielat's "Banks":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week