Race of the Day: Barney Frank in 'the fight of his life'
Out-of-nowhere Republican Sean Bielat is giving long-serving Massachusetts congressman Barney Frank a run for his money
|Name & Party:||
|Basic Info:||Fifteen-term incumbent
Consultant, Marine Corps major
|Campaign Chest:||$1.1 million
|Key Quote:||"I do not intend to be ambushed by the kind of right-wing smears that assailed John Kerry in 2004."||"There are few individuals more responsible [for the financial crisis] than Congressman Frank."|
|Petty Controversy:||Frank's boyfriend James Ready alledgedly heckled Bielat during a media interview
||Bielat was "outed" as a former Democrat by a local news site
|Wild card:||After Scott Brown's Senate victory last year, Massachusetts Republicans are feeling newly emboldened.
||"Banks": This ad argues that "you can bail out regular people or bail out the banks — and Barney chose the banks."
Sean Bielat's "Banks":
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What if The Purge was real?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
Subscribe to the Week