The video: As Halloween approaches, a YouTube video demonstrating a uniquely violent way to carve a pumpkin face is going viral. (See clip below.) "Forget everything you've ever learned about how to carve a jack-o'-lantern," says producer and star "Hickok45," who then pulls out a .40 caliber Glock and opens fire on a hollowed-out pumpkin, blasting out a nose, two eyes, and finally a ghoulish grin. Watch the video to the end for a glimpse of his creation/victim illuminated at night.
The reaction: This is one "hilarious video tutorial," say the editors of The Huffington Post. Carving the pumpkin has always been one of the most enjoyable Halloween traditions, but Hickok45's method is "way more exciting." It's also the most efficient way to make a jack-o'-lantern you'll ever see, says Brian Barrett at Gizmodo. Halloween may come just one day a year, says a commenter at Break.com, but "I'm pretty sure every day is terrifying with this guy." Watch the clip:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- These vintage Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons offer a delightful glimpse into pop culture past
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week