The video: As Halloween approaches, a YouTube video demonstrating a uniquely violent way to carve a pumpkin face is going viral. (See clip below.) "Forget everything you've ever learned about how to carve a jack-o'-lantern," says producer and star "Hickok45," who then pulls out a .40 caliber Glock and opens fire on a hollowed-out pumpkin, blasting out a nose, two eyes, and finally a ghoulish grin. Watch the video to the end for a glimpse of his creation/victim illuminated at night.
The reaction: This is one "hilarious video tutorial," say the editors of The Huffington Post. Carving the pumpkin has always been one of the most enjoyable Halloween traditions, but Hickok45's method is "way more exciting." It's also the most efficient way to make a jack-o'-lantern you'll ever see, says Brian Barrett at Gizmodo. Halloween may come just one day a year, says a commenter at Break.com, but "I'm pretty sure every day is terrifying with this guy." Watch the clip:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
Subscribe to the Week