The video: "People think [marijuana] is taboo still," said Zach Galifianakis in the midst of a discussion about California's Proposition 19 on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher last Friday. Then the actor/comedian suddenly produced a joint from his pocket and, in a "dramatic" gesture, lit up, to the delight of the studio crowd. After taking a few puffs — and offering up the doobie to fellow panelists — Galifianakis parodied a hysterical drug user, exclaiming, "Oh my God, look at those dragons!"
The reaction: Unlike previous marijuana-smoking comedians, Galifianakis "made a point with his joint," says Sean L. McCarthy at The Comic's Comic. His faux-berserk yelp served to demonstrate that "that's how some people ... think pot smokers act and behave." But could Galifianakis' stunt actually hurt the Proposition 19 cause? "Galifianakis is known for his generally wacky actions," says Hanh Nguyen at Zap2It, "so he might not be the best poster child for rational behavior." After all, says Melissa Bell at The Washington Post, "[he's] best known for performing as a schlubby, dazed sidekick." Watch Zach Galifianakis light up:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
Subscribe to the Week