he video: "People think [marijuana] is taboo still," said Zach Galifianakis in the midst of a discussion about California's Proposition 19 on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher last Friday. Then the actor/comedian suddenly produced a joint from his pocket and, in a "dramatic" gesture, lit up, to the delight of the studio crowd. After taking a few puffs — and offering up the doobie to fellow panelists — Galifianakis parodied a hysterical drug user, exclaiming, "Oh my God, look at those dragons!"
The reaction: Unlike previous marijuana-smoking comedians, Galifianakis "made a point with his joint," says Sean L. McCarthy at The Comic's Comic. His faux-berserk yelp served to demonstrate that "that's how some people ... think pot smokers act and behave." But could Galifianakis' stunt actually hurt the Proposition 19 cause? "Galifianakis is known for his generally wacky actions," says Hanh Nguyen at Zap2It, "so he might not be the best poster child for rational behavior." After all, says Melissa Bell at The Washington Post, "[he's] best known for performing as a schlubby, dazed sidekick." Watch Zach Galifianakis light up:
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 10 things you need to know today: December 7, 2013
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- The hotel of enlightenment
- The week's best photojournalism
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
Subscribe to the Week