The video: "People think [marijuana] is taboo still," said Zach Galifianakis in the midst of a discussion about California's Proposition 19 on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher last Friday. Then the actor/comedian suddenly produced a joint from his pocket and, in a "dramatic" gesture, lit up, to the delight of the studio crowd. After taking a few puffs — and offering up the doobie to fellow panelists — Galifianakis parodied a hysterical drug user, exclaiming, "Oh my God, look at those dragons!"
The reaction: Unlike previous marijuana-smoking comedians, Galifianakis "made a point with his joint," says Sean L. McCarthy at The Comic's Comic. His faux-berserk yelp served to demonstrate that "that's how some people ... think pot smokers act and behave." But could Galifianakis' stunt actually hurt the Proposition 19 cause? "Galifianakis is known for his generally wacky actions," says Hanh Nguyen at Zap2It, "so he might not be the best poster child for rational behavior." After all, says Melissa Bell at The Washington Post, "[he's] best known for performing as a schlubby, dazed sidekick." Watch Zach Galifianakis light up:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How I lost all my money
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
Subscribe to the Week