1. Water Mill, N.Y. This villa-style four-bedroom home in the Hamptons offers ocean and bay views from its roof terrace. The interior features three fireplaces and an open living area with vaulted ceilings. $3,495,000. Angela Boyer-Stump, Sotheby’s International Realty, (631) 537-6000
2. Montecito, Calif. This 1922 home is surrounded by tropical specimen gardens and features a walled courtyard with fountain. French doors in the master bedroom open onto a balcony with mountain views. $2,890,000. Harry Kolb, Sotheby’s International Properties, (805) 565-8633
3. Houston This Spanish-style four-bedroom home, built in 2001, is surrounded by mature oak trees and features such period-style details as leaded Coke-bottle-glass windows, rough-sawn wood floors, and Spanish and Mexican tiles. $2,450,000. Kellie Geitner, Christie’s Great Estates, (713) 213-2011
4. Sarasota, Fla. This Spanish-style four-bedroom home overlooks Sarasota Bay. It features a 52-foot lap pool with mosaic tile, a koi pond, and a 20,000-square-foot cobblestone driveway with fountain. $9,900,000. Linda Dickinson, Michael Saunders & Co., (888) 552-5228by tropical specimen gardens and features a walled courtyard with fountain. French doors in the master bedroom open onto a balcony with mountain views. $2,890,000. Harry Kolb, Sotheby’s International Properties, (805) 565-8633
5. Kentfield, Calif. Black walnut floors and imported chandeliers freshened up this stately property during recent renovations. The four-bedroom home and estate also includes an elevator, a full-house sound system, a 100-year-old barrel-tile roof, and a saline swimming pool. $5,500,000. Anna Pennington Boucher, Decker Bullock Sotheby’s/Top Agent Network, (415) 860-1399
6. Greenwich, Conn. Built in the 1920s, this five-bedroom stucco home features leaded windows, antique floors, and a master bedroom with fireplace. Stone walls and a stream grace the two-acre property. $3,750,000. Leslie McElwreath, Sotheby’s International Properties, (203) 618-3165
Steal of the week
7. Portland, Ore. This courtyard-style home has three bedrooms, five baths, and a media room with a bar. Features include Venetian plaster, hardwood floors, and an exterior loggia and terrace. $449,500. Richard Voss, Century 21 Peninsula, (503) 286-5826
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week