o it's come to this. Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt, the quasi-celebrity couple who achieved notoriety in the tabloid world for their appearances on MTV's "The Hills," have declared bankruptcy. The much-despised couple have burned through their considerable fortune in just a couple of years — but given their expensive tastes, it's not hard to see how they did it. Here's a numerical look at Heidi and Spencer's descent into financial ruin:
Amount of money Heidi and Spencer estimate they "squandered" during their brief moment in the limelight
Amount the duo was paid for each episode of "The Hills"
How much longer Spencer expected "The Hills" to run (it ended in 2009)
Duration of Heidi's "marathon" plastic surgery session in 2007
Number of procedures she underwent, including breast augmentation, buttock augmentation, and chin reduction
Combined cost of those surgeries and aftercare
Total investment in Heidi's music career
Approximate number of copies Heidi's first album "Superficial" sold in the week after its release
Cost of hiring ex-marines as personal bodyguards
Monthly cost of the couple's "posh Malibu pad"
Amount Spencer spent on gems, to which he once claimed he was "so addicted"
Back taxes currently owed by the couple
How old Spencer says he feels, now that he and Heidi are stuck living at home with his parents
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- 10 things you need to know today: March 12, 2014
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- America's love-hate relationship with porn
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How America's internet can become the fastest on Earth
Subscribe to the Week