So it's come to this. Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt, the quasi-celebrity couple who achieved notoriety in the tabloid world for their appearances on MTV's "The Hills," have declared bankruptcy. The much-despised couple have burned through their considerable fortune in just a couple of years — but given their expensive tastes, it's not hard to see how they did it. Here's a numerical look at Heidi and Spencer's descent into financial ruin:
Amount of money Heidi and Spencer estimate they "squandered" during their brief moment in the limelight
Amount the duo was paid for each episode of "The Hills"
How much longer Spencer expected "The Hills" to run (it ended in 2009)
Duration of Heidi's "marathon" plastic surgery session in 2007
Number of procedures she underwent, including breast augmentation, buttock augmentation, and chin reduction
Combined cost of those surgeries and aftercare
Total investment in Heidi's music career
Approximate number of copies Heidi's first album "Superficial" sold in the week after its release
Cost of hiring ex-marines as personal bodyguards
Monthly cost of the couple's "posh Malibu pad"
Amount Spencer spent on gems, to which he once claimed he was "so addicted"
Back taxes currently owed by the couple
How old Spencer says he feels, now that he and Heidi are stuck living at home with his parents
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
- The NFL is terrified of the culture war
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
Subscribe to the Week