The video: President Obama and the first lady took to the dance floor in India over the weekend with a crowd of Mumbai students. The president gamely joined in on Sunday as the colorfully-dressed children performed a dance in celebration of Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights. It wasn't all fun and games though; during his visit, Obama has been lambasted by the Indian press for perceived favoritism toward Pakistan, a country with which India has a tense and troubled relationship.
The reaction: The Indian media rated the first couple's dance moves against each other, says Erica Werner at The Associated Press. "Sorry Mr. President, but your wife is winning this competition hands down." The New Delhi Mail Today praised Michelle Obama's "natural sense of rhythm," while saying Obama "lacked grace." To sum up, says Kristi Keck at CNN: "A for effort, C for technique." Watch the video here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- Half-baked genetic research is fueling the latest round of mom bashing
- How collaborative innovation led to the experimental serum for Ebola
Subscribe to the Week