Ever since Mel Gibson was hired to make a cameo appearance in The Hangover 2, and then fired after cast and crew complained, the upcoming film's stunt casting has been closely scrutinized. Now, TMZ has "confirmed" that Bill Clinton stopped by the film's set in Thailand over the weekend to film his own cameo. The news that the former president and humanitarian is following in the "footsteps of boxer/ear-biter/convicted rapist Mike Tyson," who appeared in the first Hangover, has commentators cracking wise. Here, a sampling:
"We hope his role involves a tiger," says Megan Friedman in Time. "Or at least Mike Tyson."
What this might lead to
"Is taking a role in this Thailand-set low comedy carrying [Clinton's] global initiative too far?" wonders Michael Sragow in The Baltimore Sun. What's next? "George W. Bush in his flight gear dropping into the remake of Top Gun?"
"I'm sure Clinton has had his share of hangovers in his day, but he's definitely not the U.S. President we most associate with alcohol," says Christopher Campbell at IndieWire. A suggestion: Chester A. Arthur, imbiber of fine wines and liquors, who, incidentally, "had the greatest facial hair of any president."
"We're guessing Clinton did some serious work... on the craft service table," says the TMZ staff.
The role of a lifetime
"[Clinton] will not play a skirt-chasing, overeating, smooth-talking governor of a southern state with designs on world power," says Avi Zenilman at New York. "He will play himself."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
Subscribe to the Week