The much-anticipated videogame Call of Duty: Black Ops, released Nov. 9, keeps blowing up sales records. This latest chapter in the long-running Call of Duty series from Activision lets players assume the character of a foot-soldier during the Cold War, taking him to Russia, Vietnam, and other danger zones behind enemy lines. (Watch a trailer for Black Ops.) The game, which has received generally positive reviews, is well ahead of the sales pace set by last year's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, the top-selling game of all time. A breakdown of the numbers:
Amount Black Ops grossed after five days on the market, a record
Amount the previous record holder, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, made in its first five days
Amount 2008's The Dark Knight had grossed after five days, the high-water mark for movies
Amount Black Ops made on its first day in stores, also a record
Amount Modern Warfare 2 made on its first day
Number of people who played Black Ops on Microsoft's Xbox Live during its first day of release
Number of hours logged by online players on XBox live that first day
Total videogame sales in the U.S. for the first nine months of the year, down 8 percent from the same period in 2009
Number of games released in the Call of Duty series thus far; a rumored eighth may hit shelves in late 2011
Number of former dictators upset over the game (the Cuban government expressed outrage over the game, which includes a mission that eluded the C.I.A. in the 1960s: Assassinate Fidel Castro)
Sources: Information Week, Wall Street Journal, Seattle Times, The New York Times, PCWorld
SEE MORE OF THE WEEK'S RELATED COVERAGE:
• Petty controversy: Fidel Castro vs. video gamers
• Do video agmes make Army pilots more violent?
• Violent video games: Protected by the First Amendment?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week