Oprah Winfrey has ended the final season of her talk show "with a bang," devoting two full episodes to her annual holiday shopping list of "Favorite Things." The lucky, stunned studio audience members came away with gifts — including new cars and Caribbean cruises — that far exceeded the bounty of years past. (Watch their reaction.) Here's a brief guide, by the numbers:
Episodes devoted to this year's "Favorite Things"
Total number of gifts — including an iPad Scrabble app ($4.99), an iPad ($499 and up), a Sony Bravia 3D television ($3,600), and Beecher's "World's Best" Mac 'N' Cheese ($29) — that audience members received (split between those attending the two separate tapings)
Approximate total value of the 45 individual items
Approximate value of the gift package given away on Oprah's 2007 "Favorite Things" episode
Projected price tag of the 2012 VW Beetle 2012 audience members received this year
Number of audience members who received the cars
Amount in taxes the audience members will pay on their new cars — VW is covering the fees
Number of American viewers that "The Oprah Winfrey Show" attracts each week
Boost in sales seen by the makers of the Clarisonic Skin Care System, over three years, after Winfrey included the product line in her 2007 "Favorite Things" giveaway
Advance warning Beecher's Handmade Cheese, a small Seattle purveyor, received that Winfrey would be featuring their "World's Best" Mac 'N' Cheese this year
Number of hits Beecher's website received in the first hour after the show aired in Seattle
Number of food items, or items related to food preparation, included in this year's "Favorite Things"
Number of books related to weight loss that were featured in the giveaway
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week