he video: Appearing on the PBS program "Inside Washington," conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer chided the show for its "weekly Sarah Palin segment" — more media evidence, he said, that Palin encapsulates "the whole of conservatism in America" in the "liberal imagination." (View video below.) When fellow guest Colby King agreed that Palin is "the most significant Republican, conservative around," Krauthammer shot back that such comments are "perfect evidence of how liberals are obsessed with Sarah Palin."
The reaction: Of course liberals are obsessed with Palin, but it's "not a one-way street," says William Jacobson in Legal Insurrection. We conservatives are equally "obsessed with defending" her against the left's "relentless," unhinged attacks. Are liberals obsessed? asks Michael J.W. Stickings in The Reaction. No, just watching, "often with great amusement" as the "brightest Republican star (without necessarily being bright)" has become the de facto leader of the party. The only winner is Palin, says Zandar in No More Mister Nice Blog. If the media pays attention to her, it's "obsessed," but if it ignores her, "they're misogynist 'lamestream media.'" So Krauthammer is right that the media is "enabling" her — if he's upset, maybe he can "convince her to tone it down." Watch the exchange:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week